Thursday, May 27, 2010

Holy hamstrings

My hamstrings are really hurting tonight. Yesterday I lifted weights for the first time since I began training for Madiera Beach. Lots of lunges and squats, OUCH!! Tri training left little time for anything other than swim-bike-run. Tonight I had to force myself to run. I've learned that when I'm sore and stiff I need to push through it and eventually it gets better.

Tonights run started out tough due to the tight hamstrings and sore shoulders. The first 2 miles were not enjoyable. By mile 3 I felt myself settle into my comfort pace and relax. By mile 5 my shoulders were stiffening and I was thirsty. Not too many more nights left like this with less humidity. Come summer the night runs wont feel any different than the day ones, yuck. But, I prefer any run outside to the dreadmill. The 5 miles went down like this:

mile 1: 9:35
mile 2: 9:07
mile 3: 9:03
mile 4: 9:03
mile 5: 9:03

A little slower than I had hoped. I'm hoping to regain my pace in the next couple months with my weight training, track runs and intervals.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to Little Long Lake, the closest town is Fremont, its literally on the border of Indiana and Michigan, half the lake in Indiana, the othe half in Michigan.

    Foam roll your hamstrings, will do wonders for the recovery

    ReplyDelete